"After forty days Noah opened a window he had made in the ark and sent out a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth. Then he sent out a dove to see if the water had receded from the surface of the ground. But the dove could find nowhere to perch because there was water over all the surface of the earth; so it returned to Noah in the ark. He reached out his hand and took the dove and brought it back to himself in the ark. He waited seven more days and again sent out the dove from the ark. When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth."~Genesis 8:6-11

Monday, April 9, 2012

福音The Gospel

Day 14.

You know how people always think that Asians love Hello Kitty?  It's true.  They are obsessed.  I can't leave the apartment without seeing it somewhere.  I can't be IN the apartment without seeing it somewhere.  The first thing that I did when I got here was go to a 7/11.  When I paid, they gave me a Hello Kitty sticker.  Hello Kitty EVERYTHING is here.  I was passing by a pastry shop yesterday and saw these...



Just thought I would let you guys know that some stereotypes are true.

Today in class we were introduced the this week's theme: "The Gospel".  I went into it thinking that this was going to be a pretty basic week.  I mean, how many times have I heard the gospel?

But today was the most eye-opening day of class yet.
Here are the things that hit me the hardest...

1) Do I sincerely believe that people deserve to go to hell?
Most of us were raised to believe that people are basically good.  If they are basically good, then they basically deserve good.  If this is what we believe, then the gift God has given us in Christ is not amazing.

2) How often do we think about what Jesus can do for us?  Or in sharing the gospel, talk about what Jesus can do for you?  If it's all about me, then we begin to think that salvation is what we deserve.  Then it's not "amazing grace" anymore.  It's what Jesus ought to give us.

Wow, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment