"After forty days Noah opened a window he had made in the ark and sent out a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth. Then he sent out a dove to see if the water had receded from the surface of the ground. But the dove could find nowhere to perch because there was water over all the surface of the earth; so it returned to Noah in the ark. He reached out his hand and took the dove and brought it back to himself in the ark. He waited seven more days and again sent out the dove from the ark. When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth."~Genesis 8:6-11

Thursday, April 5, 2012

水饺 Dumplings

Day 10.

When I left for Taiwan, I was slightly worried that I was not going to like the food.  The asian food that I've had before, I have loved.  But the asian food that I've had before consists entirely of Jade Dragon.  I figured it was going to be a little bit less American-ized, or at least a little less fried.

I was right.  But it's so much better.  Maybe because everyone sells food on the side of the road that is extremely freshly murdered, or slaughtered... executed... whatever the proper word is in this situation.  My Taiwanese friends say that it all has to be fresh because when you become a woman in Taiwan, you gain the ability to smell when something is about to turn bad.

So the chickens...

and the squid...


and the pigs...


are all completely intact.

I ate a full squid for dinner yesterday.  It tasted like weird, rubbery chicken.  But my two favorite foods are baozi and shuijiao.  Baozi is basically a sweet roll that has pork in a sweet sauce in the center.  Shuijiao is dumplings :) THE BEST.

Yesterday in class I led a devotional.  Everyone is going to have to do it once, I just happened to be first.  I spoke on humility.  I thought it would be clever, assuming that I would probably trip on my way up to speak.  (I didn't) But I did kick over the stand I had my Bible on in the middle of the presentation when I was showing off how I picture King David dancing while moving the Ark of the Covenant.  

I don't know if I was always this clumsy, or if I've just been hyper-aware of it since I've been in Taiwan.

We finished reading the New Testament today.  It took a total of 18 hours across 4 days.  Cool, huh?

6 comments:

  1. Katrina! You are the best. THE BEST. When you're back stateside, I wanna see this King David dance. We will get pork buns and dumplings and will thusly be filled with joy. I love you and pray for you often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina...it sounds like an adventure of a lifetime! Thank you for sharing. Love, Kinsey's Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina - oh my - I can hardly wait for my Easter ham now! Just wondering - are there many Christians in Taiwan? Enjoying your blog - continued blessings to you as YOU TOO are such a blessing!

      Delete
  3. First of all, is that pig in that picture real?! but actually....
    Secondly, I give you so much credit for being so adventurous with eating! And those dumplings sound delicious...squid not so much....
    Thirdly, you're wonderful.
    Lastly, love you and am praying for you always.

    OH and the fact that you guys read the New Testament in 18 hours over 4 days is AWESOME. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really?? This from the girl who used to have me cut the crust off her bread! As "they" say, you've come a long way, baby!

    You've inspired me to read through the NT. I'm starting today. Don't know if I'll get through it in 4 days but I'll definitely read through it all.

    So so excited for you to be going to the Phillipines. WOW.
    I love you angel, and thinking how cool that we are celebrating our risen Christ together around the globe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrina!!

    I LOVE reading what you have written! All of the stories and your thoughts and your humor (I can totally picture you kicking over your stand...and then giggling about it. Ahhh I miss you!)!!

    I can't wait to see how God continues to work though you and to teach you and everything! Oh man! I'm literally yelling all of this in my head because I'm s excited for you so sorry if this comes out really hyper sounding! I can't WAIT to see you when you get home and hear all about this!!

    LOVE, Reeve

    ReplyDelete